Litter-free Digital Journal
|Presented By||South Carolina Aquarium|
|Goal||Safer, healthier habitats for people and wildlife|
|Task||Track and remove plastic pollution from all SC habitats|
Litter-free Digital Journal
South Carolina, United States of America
Litter. It’s a pervasive problem with the potential to negatively affect all living things. From South Carolina’s mountain streams to its island beaches, plastics and other improperly discarded materials not only destroy the beauty of our landscape but also can be harmful to us. Rainwater pooled in plastic litter provides a breeding ground for disease-spreading mosquitoes. Plastics and cigarette butts may leach dangerous toxins into our water supply. Aggregations of litter can clog storm drains, harm wildlife, and harbor disease-causing microbes.
So what can we do?
The South Carolina Aquarium is leading the way to empower citizens like you to engage with us in meaningful conservation actions. As partners, we can make a bigger positive impact while concurrently generating scientifically valuable data that everyone can access. Our goal with the Litter-free Digital Journal is to promote collaborative solutions by tracking and removing plastics and other types of refuse from both terrestrial and marine habitats throughout South Carolina. The benefits are numerous; will you take action with us?
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
2. Assemble your supplies! You'll need separate bags for collecting trash and recyclables, as well as gloves (garden, work, latex, etc.) and tools to safely pick up litter. Long-handled nets work well to retrieve debris from waterways. Your crew may appreciate hand sanitizer and/or safety vests.
3. Designate a person to record data during the sweep using either the South Carolina Aquarium Citizen Science app (preferred) or a datasheet.
4. Once you’ve finished, take photos! Team photos with the total amount of litter collected are a great way to memorialize your efforts and foster pride for a job well done.
5. Remove collected litter from the site and properly dispose of it. Recycle items in accordance with local regulations, and put the remaining trash in a proper receptacle.
6. Finally, contribute your data.
Thank you for making a difference!
|How to Join||
Download the South Carolina Aquarium Citizen Science app, or access the project on the Anecdata website: www.anecdata.org/projects/view/122. Register to create an account, then click on the Litter-free Digital Journal project to start adding or accessing data.
|Project Timing||Data can be added at any time, from any location!|
|Android App URL||https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.anecdata.sca|
|iOS App URL||https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sc-aquarium-citizen-science/id1210127057?mt=8|
|Materials List||Bag for litter collection, Gloves (work, garden, nitrile, etc.), Method to record litter data (digitally using app preferred; or use a datasheet or photo)|
|Ideal Age Group||Elementary school (6 - 10 years), Middle school (11 - 13 years), High school (14 - 17 years), College, Graduate students, Adults, Families, Seniors|
|Ideal Frequency||Per week|
|Average Time||Less than an hour|
|Spend the Time||outdoors|
|Type of Activity||In oceans, streams, rivers, lakes, While fishing, On a hike, At home, In snow or rain, At the beach, On a walk, run, At school, On a lunch break|
|Tags||debris, litter, microplastic, plastic, policy, pollution, science, trash, waste|
These are ratings provided by participants in this project.
These are ratings provided by K-12 teachers. This rating reflects how well the project is suited for the classroom.
Your contributions to this project will be tracked and credited in your SciStarter dashboard!
Rate Litter-free Digital Journal
Featured on The Crowd & the Cloud
The Crowd & The Cloud is a 4-part documentary series for public television.
SciStarter and iNaturalist have teamed up to make it easier for you to do citizen science!
Link your SciStarter and iNaturalist accounts to enjoy these benefits:
- track and manage your project contributions on your SciStarter dashboard
- get access to all iNaturalist projects through your Scistarter account
|Your current status with iNaturalist||Action to take|
|If you already have an iNaturalist account:|
|If you aren't currently registered on iNaturalist, you can sign up here on SciStarter, and your SciStarter and iNaturalist accounts will be linked:||Sign up for iNaturalist|
|Or, you can proceed to iNaturalist and sign up or log in there.||Take me to iNaturalist|
You're now leaving SciStarter to join Litter-free Digital Journal...
Litter-free Digital Journal uses SciStarter to manage their volunteers. You will need to log in or sign up for a SciStarter account to join.
Create a SciStarter account
Already have an account? Log in.