|Goal||Crowdsource map of Automated External Defibrillators in Philly.|
|Task||Photograph AEDs in Philly (chance to win $10,000 prize).|
When someone collapses and stops breathing, an automated external defibrillator or AED can save their life. In Philadelphia, PA, a city with about 1.5 million people, AEDs are all around us. Near our homes, workplaces, and even grocery stores! Currently there is no comprehensive map and as a result AEDs are often not used when they are most needed. With the crowdsourced information we collect from our contest, we will build a map of AED locations in Philadelphia which can inform 911 services and the public.
There are three ways to play:
1. Find and photograph the most AEDs in Philadelphia County through Tuesday, March 27, 2012 and win the $10,000 grand prize. The team or individual that finds the most "confirmed," "eligible" AEDs by the contest end date will receive the grand prize of $10,000.
2. Be the first to submit a photograph of a "Golden"AED and win $50. We have identified between 20 and 200 AEDs in Philadelphia County as "Golden" AEDs. These are unmarked and you won't know it's a winner when you photograph it.
3. Want to help but not compete for a prize? Submit addresses of locations without AEDs or that you wish had an AED - this is just for fun and it will help us with our map.
Read the Scistarter interview with the lead researcher here: http://scistarter.com/blog/2012/01/spot-the-most-defibrillators-in-philly-win-10k/
|How to Join||
The smartphone application launches this January. You'll be able to go online- register, download the app, fire up your smartphone and hit the streets! Go to our website for more details and to enter.
|Ideal Age Group||Elementary school (6 - 10 years), Middle school (11 - 13 years), High school (14 - 17 years), College, Graduate students, Adults, Families|
|Spend the Time||outdoors|
|Type of Activity||Emergency Response|
|Tags||Health & Medicine|
These are ratings provided by participants in this project.
These are ratings provided by K-12 teachers. This rating reflects how well the project is suited for the classroom.
Your contributions to this project will be tracked and credited in your SciStarter dashboard!
Rate MyHeartMap Challenge
Featured on The Crowd & the Cloud
The Crowd & The Cloud is a 4-part documentary series for public television.
SciStarter and iNaturalist have teamed up to make it easier for you to do citizen science!
Link your SciStarter and iNaturalist accounts to enjoy these benefits:
- track and manage your project contributions on your SciStarter dashboard
- get access to all iNaturalist projects through your Scistarter account
|Your current status with iNaturalist||Action to take|
|If you already have an iNaturalist account:|
|If you aren't currently registered on iNaturalist, you can sign up here on SciStarter, and your SciStarter and iNaturalist accounts will be linked:||Sign up for iNaturalist|
|Or, you can proceed to iNaturalist and sign up or log in there.||Take me to iNaturalist|
You're now leaving SciStarter to join MyHeartMap Challenge...